If you live near BYU, then you need to know about all of the free BYU kid activities offered there for children! There are so many fun activities for them to participate in from story times to hands on art projects and more. All of these activities are FREE TO EVERYONE regardless of whether or not you or your spouse attend or work at BYU.
Most of the kid friendly activities at BYU are offered through the university’s four museums: BYU Museum of Art, Bean Life Science Museum, Museum of Peoples and Cultures, and Museum of Paleontology. Information for each museum is included here as well as the activities that they offer. There are occasionally other events at BYU that are geared towards kids and families; you can find them by browsing the BYU events calendar.
Monday, Thursday, Friday – 10 AM – 9 PM
Tuesday – Wednesday – 10 AM – 6 PM
Saturday – 10 AM – 6 PM
- SELF-GUIDED SCAVENGER HUNTS-This is a fun activity to do anytime that you visit the museum. All you do is pick up a scavenger hunt worksheet from the front desk and start the search! This is a great activity for school aged children especially.
- VAN GOGH TO PLAY DOUGH-During this activity you and your child participate in an educational presentation and create your own art using play dough. This activity is designed for children 2-4 years old.
- COSTUME TOURS-This is a really fun and unique activity! You kids are given costumes and then are given a tour of the museum, during which they are encouraged to find their character in its art piece. You do need to schedule it ahead of time, but it is still free. It is ideal for groups with 8-10 kids ages 5 and older.
- OPEN STUDIO-This activity is for the whole family and is held on the first and third Saturdays of each month between 10 and 12. There will be a key question related to a current exhibition theme, and participants will be able to use art materials provided to come up with their own creative response the the question.
Monday – Friday – 10 AM – 9 PM
Saturday – 10 AM – 5 PM
- DISCOVERY READING-Basically, expect animal themed story time during this activity. It is geared towards preschoolers and is held on Thursdays at 11 AM.
- DISCOVERY DRAWING-This is a fun little drawing class geared towards children in the 1st grade or older. They will draw pictures of animals based on real (stuffed) animal exhibits and models. It is held every 2nd Saturday of the Month from 2-3 PM.
- CONSERVATION KID VISITS-Join Conservation Katy & Conservation Ken on the first Saturday of every month from noon – 1 PM. There are some cool videos online to give you an idea of what these conservation super heroes do.
- LIVE ANIMAL SHOWS-These are education presentations that use actual living animals for kids to look at and even interact with. Free public shows are held in-house Monday-Friday at 7:30 PM with an additional show at 6:30 PM on Monday, and Saturday at 1 PM and 3 PM. Shows typically last 30 to 45 minutes. You can schedule a private show as well for a small fee.
Monday – Friday – 9 AM – 5 PM
Tuesday – 9 AM – 7 PM
Museum of Peoples and Cultures Activities:
- MOMMY MEET UP-Come with your kids the last Thursday of the month to do crafts and mingle. The idea is that you gather your own small group of mom friends to attend with their kids and call ahead of time to let them know to expect you (as well as others who called).
- MORNINGS AT THE MUSEUM-Tuesdays and Thursdays during July 10-11am Each day includes different hands-on activities for kids focused on archeology, architecture, and anthroplogy. This program is free and designed for ages 5 – 11 accompanied by an adult.
Monday – Friday – 9 AM – 5 PM
No special activities offered at this time. Just visit and enjoy!
Hopefully these activities can help keep you and your kids entertained and help to keep your bank account happy! I’d love to hear about any other free activities around Provo/Springville area that you like to do with your kids.